Fact vs Fiction: Is Emu Oil Good For Arthritis?
Frank has experienced it all: recurrent joint pain coupled with downcast mornings where it was just plain difficult to leave his bed.
"I had been struggling with my achy arthritic joints for years. Some mornings I wouldn't even want to get out of bed because of how stiff and painful my knees were.”
He’s not alone.
Arthritis affects many people worldwide, and although there’s no known cure, alternative medicine like emu oil can help with the day-to-day management of its painful symptoms.
Emu oil is a tried and tested natural remedy for the pain and stiffness associated with arthritis.
In fact, one study found that the use of emu oil reduced inflammation by limiting the secretion of some proinflammatory factors, offering significant relief from osteoarthritis.
Frank can attest to emu oil’s anti-inflammatory properties.
“I started applying emu oil to my knees, wrists, and hands twice a day, and within one week, I noticed a huge improvement in my arthritis symptoms. No more wincing while getting out of bed!"
How Do Emu Oil Products Work for Arthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease that can affect practically any joint in the body, including the knees, hips, back, shoulders, hands, and fingers.
It can be painful and debilitating, to the point that it interferes with daily living, but luckily emu oil is a well-known natural remedy for osteoarthritis.
What exactly is emu oil? Let’s start by understanding where it comes from.
Scientifically known as Dromiceius novahollandiae, emus are flightless birds that Australian aborigines have been using for many purposes, including the benefits of their fat, for thousands of years.
One particular benefit they found was that rubbing the fat of the emu onto their skin aided burn and wound healing. It also relieved pain and soothed dry, chapped skin.
How does emu oil work?
Fatty Acids Create an Anti Inflammatory Effect
Emu oil contains oleic acid, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, palmitoleic acid, among others.
Research indicates that the properties of emu oil, like polyunsaturated fatty acids, contribute to its anti-inflammatory effect.
In fact, in one such study, emu oil acted as an effective inhibitor of chronic inflammation when applied as a skin penetration enhancer on subjects that had adjuvant-induced arthritis.
Here’s the interesting part: pure emu oil closely mirrors human skin oil, and that’s why it easily penetrates the skin into the tissues where its essential fatty acids get to work soothing inflammation and swelling.
Here’s how it works.
Omega 9, in particular, is the major fatty acid in emu oil responsible for this transdermal effect. When applied topically, it amplifies the transportation of bioactive compounds into the skin, where it’s absorbed quickly into the dermal layers.
Consequently, this reduction in inflammation helps relieve pain and stiffness and prevent further damage and scar tissue formation within the joints.
It doesn’t stop there.
By reducing swelling and tenderness of the joints and surrounding muscles, emu oil can improve joint mobility and restore normal motion, which means less strain in your day-to-day activities.
Just look at how much this user is reaping the health benefits of emu oil.
"For years, I thought that my arthritis pain was just something I was going to have to live with -- unless I was willing to deal with prescription medications like Oxycodone and corticosteroids every day. But no more -- once I started putting emu oil on my sore hands and knees every day, I was finally able to start living with less pain. I feel like I got my life back!"
How Do You Use Emu Oil for Joint Pain?
We have not just one but three wonderful emu oil products that make up our Soothe My Pain Kit, which is the ultimate toolkit for pain relief.
Banish My Pain is a soothing ointment that includes a carefully selected combination of natural ingredients known for their pain-relieving properties.
Here are some of the ingredients and their benefits for the skin:
- Sunflower Seed Oil—sunflower oil has an anti-inflammatory effect and also contains linoleic acid that maintains the skin’s natural barrier.
- Camphor—Camphor relieves pain, irritation, and itching and has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Shea Butter—a 2016 study of shea oil concentrate revealed that it could help reduce inflammation while also protecting joints from further damage.
- Arnica Montana Flower—Arnica has been shown to reduce pain and stiffness associated with osteoarthritis in the hand and knee.
- Calendula Flower—calendula extract increases the amount of collagen in wounds, thus enhancing the wound healing process.
- Lemon Balm Leaf—rosmarinic acid in lemon balm has more active antioxidant activity, anti-inflammatory, and immunomodulatory effects making it effective in relieving arthritis symptoms.
- Chamomile Flower—its chemical composition contains active ingredients that significantly reduce the need for pain relief medication for arthritis.
- Vitamin E—Vitamin E treatment has been seen to prevent cartilage degeneration and improves oxidative status in animal models of osteoarthritis.
- Lavender Oil—it can be an effective analgesic and anti-inflammatory treatment, that when applied topically, provides more pain relief than prescription medication like tramadol.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract—GSE may suppress bone destruction in inflammatory autoimmune arthritis hence significantly reducing pain and cartilage loss through increased collagen production.
Banish My Pain is perfect for both daytime and overnight relief of joint aches and pains and unlike other pain creams, the scent is mild, not medicinal.
Here are some tips from one happy customer who uses this product for pain relief.
“I use Banish My Pain for arthritis and fibromyalgia. It does a good job of lessening both types of pain. I use the product on my neck and shoulders,foot, back and hands. I have learned to use a smaller amount on one site instead of using a large amount at once trying to cover a large area. It's easier to massage in and absorbs more quickly.”
For inflammation, gently massage a small amount of Pure Emu Oil over sore joints and muscles at least two or three times per day for optimum effect.
“I am really enjoying the product. It seems to be helping with my knee arthritis. The oil is helping with my skin as well.”
When your arthritis pain flares up while you’re out and about, use the On The Go Stick to quickly relieve the pain.
Some of the ingredients in the soother stick are:
- Comfrey Leaf Oil—Originally referred to as “knitbone,” the root and leaves of the comfrey plant have been used for years to treat muscle sprains and joint inflammation
- Cocoa Seed Butter—Cocoa contains antioxidants known as polyphenols that reduce inflammation and protect the skin from sun damage.
- Evening Primrose Oil—the gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in evening primrose oil can reduce rheumatoid arthritis pain without causing a side effect.
- Cajeput Oil—this oil is used either alone or in combination with other ingredients in antiseptic lotions to treat joint pain and other types of pains.
The stick is small enough to fit in a purse or your pocket, so you can use it “whenever wherever.”
“Wonderful! I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and these products are a miracle in a tube. They have relieved my pains all over my body without smelling or greasiness. This is a lifesaver!!”
What Is the Best Oil for Arthritis?
Looking for more lasting relief from your arthritis symptoms? Then the Soothe My Pain Kit is perfect for you.
Emu Joy’s all natural products -- Pure Emu Oil, Banish My Pain and the On the Go Stick -- can help you just as they’ve helped many of our grateful customers above.
Order your kit through the link below.